Thursday, April 17, 2008

This is EVIL

Is anything too much these days? The Yale Daily News is reporting that one of their senior art students, Aliza Shvart made abortion into an art project she will display next week:



Beginning next Tuesday, Shvarts will be displaying her senior art project, a documentation of a nine-month process during which she artificially inseminated herself "as often as possible" while periodically taking abortifacient drugs to induce miscarriages. Her exhibition will feature video recordings of these forced miscarriages as well as preserved collections of the blood from the process.

Apparently Shvart found men willing to donate their sperm for the project, but don't worry world, they weren't paid. And then she forced miscarriages over a 9 month period, without consulting a doctor.

Really, is this a joke! Who would approve this project? Shvart does say that she is hoping to spark a conversation and debate on the relationship between art and the human body. Oh boy if this is true, I can only imagine what would happen.

As a journalist, I think that I would have trouble covering and reporting this objectively. How could any one with a soul do that? I would hope this were joke, but I really do not know what I would do if I was assigned this piece. I think it would haunt me.

I hope that she shared this information to spark controversy without actually doing the project. According to the article, not many people or groups around the campus knew what she was doing. So their is a possibility that this is false. If this is true this is disgusting and disappointing.

No comments: